Burnside Public School

Omnia Pro Bono - For the good of all

Telephone02 9630 1422


About our school

Burnside Public School, located in the traditional country of the Dharug people, is set in spacious and attractive grounds. The school community prides itself on providing a happy, caring and friendly environment in a small school atmosphere where all students feel welcome and achieve to the best of their individual abilities. The school enjoys outstanding facilities and resources as a result of the tremendous support and involvement of the community. 

The school is committed to providing high quality education to meet the needs of all students. While focussing on the basics, the school has a high standard of academic, creative and sporting achievements.

Burnside Public School offers:

  • A friendly, caring atmosphere for children
  • Close student / teacher relationship
  • A "small school" environment
  • Dedicated, hard working and experienced teachers
  • Close relationship with neighbouring schools
  • A positive approach to learning
  • Motivation provided by praise and awards
  • A good "all round" education with emphasis on the basics
  • An "open door" approach to parents
  • Plenty of scope for parent involvement and participation
  • Computers in every classroom
  • Large playing fields
  • Regular fitness and Crunch & Sip program
  • Assembly hall for students and visiting performances
  • Well resourced library
  • Inter-school sports for Primary students

Download Burnside information book (PDF 1.7MB) for easy reference to many school matters.

Burnside Public School history

Burnside Public School was built in 1922 by Sir James Murdoch at a cost of 17,000 Pounds, and for many years was known as the "Murdoch School".  The building of the school was founded primarily to overcome the problems of transporting the Burnside homes children to North ParramattaThe Murdoch School School.

Though the buildings and grounds remain the property of Uniting Care, the School is staffed and maintained by the Department of Education and Communities.

The present school was opened on the 21st April 1922 by Her Excellency Lady Forster, wife of the Governor-General.  The school motto being "Omnia Pro Bono" meaning "For the Good of All".

After a few years Burnside School became a Central School - providing education for students  up to the intermediate level.

In the early years most children were Homes children, but new policies of welfare care by the organisation have resulted in the relocation of children and there are no longer any children from the Homes attending this school.

In 1962 the school was reclassified and most secondary students were enrolled at Cumberland High School. During the 1970's Burnside School had an enrolment of over 400 students with separate primary and infants departments.

In recent years the school has maintained an enrolment of over 200 students.